Monday, January 17, 2011

Chocolate cake with Srita Camarillo

So, as most Chefs do, last week I was able to finally get togehter with a very dear friend that had asked me to teach her how to make chocolate cake from scratch! At some point, she even mentioned that she could care less what type of chocolate cake, she just wanted to learn how to do it! I´m guessing that Lily does have a natural love for chocolate, as yours truly, though, well..... I´m guessing that if she could wear it, she would.

Cooking for me, in a sense has always needed a purpose. You cook for your fiancé, for your grandma, for your parents; to get out of trouble... to get in trouble!!!! In my world, I need a reason! The reason this time around was the first appearance of my first cookbook, Cuisine Bohème during an art walk that happens every thursday on my home town. Having a reason always makes you try harder in accomplishing that WOW effect that most of us want, and yes..., it is an ego thing!

So as all things come due, the day came around and we finally got together to make, I have to say, one of the best chocolate cakes I´ve made in a while.

The final composition read someting like:

Xtra bittersweet, kahlua scented flourless chocolate cake, with raspberry filling, cinnamon whipped cream and fresh raspberries!

Now... try doing that in a regular mexican household (meaning no real baking equipment at hand), inhabited by two kids in their early 30´s (meaning no kitchen at hand)!!!!!!! That.... was a blast!!! and it went something like this:

Two days before, my cast had come off, from having a broken hand, so, you could say that to start with, I was still pretty much useless. Because of the same reason, I had some errands to run and so did Lily. We ended up getting together until 3:00 for a showing at 5:00. I´m sure Lily has decided to pursue other things that don´t involve learning to cook with a chef...... talk about pressure!!!!!

As we got home, we talked about our game plan and got ready. First thing, need to separate the eggs, then melt the chocolate, after, start whipping! Chop chop.....girl!!!!!!

As soon as we were done mixing the chocolate into the egg whites, the oven was ready, so we kept going!!! - Second batch working!, said Lily in a tone of voice that almost felt as if she wanted to stab me with the chocoalte bars! I have to say I was pretty impressed by how Lily managed not to do it!!!! She kept her composure and didn´t talk back, almost every chefs dream of a cook! At this point, I started heating up the raspberry preserves to get them to consistency and gave the whipped cream a last chill in the freezer before whipping it.

The second batch of the cake came out allright, though the first one was fluffier. No worries, it would work for the final composition. Unfotunately, we had to wash some dishes before we could continue for the one and only bowl I had was completely covered with chocolate! Lily also did a wonderful job at that!!!!!!

We started little by little setting up the cake, of all things, on a cutting board. New on my list for next Christmas, a nice tray for pastries!!!!!!!! This was the easy part, except for the part of basting the cake with a spoon (uuuhhhhh!!! pastry bursh, pastry brush.....!!!!) though still managed to place 3 layers of cake with their respective layer of preserves.

As soon as we wahsed our tools (it was 5:00 already!), we mixed in the ingredintes for the cream. Lily whipped it, while I was cleaning the fresh raspberries. We where getting there, though unfortunately, my chef game face came upon me!!!!!

Lets go Liliannaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Gotta go...........!!!!! thankfully, my wife walking through the door came at the best of times!!!!!! She knows what living with a chef is like and as soon as she walked in, she knew I needed help!!!!!!

She helped us out in getting a cooler for the cream and the berries, sent me on my way to get shaved (how are you gonna go dressed like that?????????????) and got the car ready!!!! We covered the cake and run out the door!!!! pheeewwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Giving away the cake was in the end the best part, specially beacuse it ment for me the opening of a new chapter in my professional life. Promoting my own book made me feel like I was back on track and finally moving! Liliana was very happy with her lesson and both my wife and her boyfriend agreed to the veridict! Good cake..., Good job!!!!!!

So, to conmemorate the coming of age of Lily into the world of professional Chefs, I have posted the cake recipe in the "pages" section with some nice pictures of the Art Gallery of Ivan Guaderrama!!!!

Thanks Ivan!!!!

By the way, I did sell one book!!!!! ja!

No comments:

Post a Comment